The 2017 Hyundai Elantra, now at Castlegar Hyundai, was totally redesigned for this model year. The result was so impressive, that Canadian automobile journalists picked the Elantra as the top car in Canada. However, there were so many changes and improvements to this car, some of them are often overlooked. And many of these innovative features are items you can't actually see or touch, although they represent huge leaps in technology. So here are 25 key facts about the 2017 Elantra that deserve attention.
1. By the end of 2016, Hyundai will have sold more than 500,000 units of the Hyundai Elantra since its launch in 1991.
2. The Elantra has ranked second in the Canadian market for total sales in the past three years.
3. The styling of the 2017 Elantra's front bumper air vents was influenced by the air intakes on fighter jets.
4. The all-new Elantra uses 53% advanced high-strength steel, up from 21% in the previous version. This change reinforces the car's structural rigidity and improves the ride, handling, quietness, durability and performance.
5. Hyundai used 120 meters of structural adhesive in the new Elantra, 40 times more than the previous model. Structural adhesive, commonly used in construction to help bond materials, improves the driving dynamics of the Elantra and increases safety in a collision by reinforcing the vehicle's body structure. It also reinforces welding points and seals the interior structure from air and wind leaks.
6. Belgium is home to some of the bumpiest roads in the world with its famous cobblestone streets. But the Elantra offers such durability and quality, it meets the Belgian road limit durability test -- which is 100 times stricter than conventional road tests.
7. The 2017 Elantra uses 77% rust prevention steel to improve longevity compared to other vehicles in the same class.
8. The 2017 Elantra features a 0.27 aerodynamic coefficient of drag -- even lower than the Nissan Leaf!
9. A series of undercover panels below the vehicle optimize the aerodynamics to reduce air friction.
10. The Elantra features an available rear-view camera with dynamic guidelines to help a driver visually guide the vehicle into a parking space.
11. Thicker glass in the front door and rear windshield result in improved cabin quietness.
12. The dash panel pass-through for wiring was reduced by 25% to minimize engine noise in the cabin.
13. Hyundai added felt to the liners above the rear wheels to make the cabin even quieter.
14. Hyundai used expandable foam -- similar to spray-foam used for home insulation -- in all the vehicle pillars to reduce noise inside the vehicle.
15. Hyundai even added thicker carpets inside the car to lessen road noise!
16. In the U.S., the Elantra is classified as a mid-sized car because it is so roomy.
17. The new Elantra gains more rear seat legroom, more shoulder room in the front and rear seats and a larger trunk.
18. The 2017 Elantra is the first and only compact car to the offer heated front seats as a standard option.
19. The 2017 Elantra GL includes a heated leather steering wheel to ensure hands stay warm on cold days. This is a feature that no other manufacturer offers on their volume (most popular) trim level.
20. A passenger seat height adjuster comes standard.
21. The Elantra's eco-friendly seats contain soy foam, which reduces the environmental impact of this car by 5.5 kg of CO2 for each kilogram used.
22. The Elantra includes a three-stage door checker, which means the door will open and stay in three different positions: 34 degrees, 50 degrees and 70 degrees. This improves accessibility and means you will never have a door swing closed and bump you!
23. A full trunk handle is not integrated into the rear of the car to help keep hands clean by alleviating the need for pushing down on the outside body when closing the trunk.
24. When improved motor-drive power steering, you get smooth and stable handing and better response at variable speeds.
25. The Elantra features three different drive modes on the models with auto transmission: Eco, Normal, and Sport. This allows the driver to adapt the throttle, transmission, and steering to her driving needs.
Castlegar Hyundai, which is the authorized Hyundai dealer for Nelson, Trail, Rossland, Castlegar, Creston, Kaslo and all points in between, is fully stocked with both the Elantra and the Elantra, which is the turbo version of this incredible car.